Church Library Ministry Collection Development:
CHURCH LIBRARY MINISTRY CIRCULATION
- READ/CONFERENCE: Read pages 118-127 in the Church Library Ministry Information Service AND/OR participate in a conference covering circulation of media.
- INTERVIEW/VISIT someone on the CLN Members or Groups pages. Find ways to make the circulation process in your church library more efficient.
- DEVELOP your own over-due or past-due notice and reserve/request form (examples for both are shown in the Church Library Ministry Information Service) to fit your church library personality and needs.
- IMPLEMENT: Put a copy of the notice and form in your desk book and make copies of the reserve/request form for the circulation desk. These need to be readily available when customers come in seeking a particular item that is not in the collection or is checked out.
- EVALUATE: After 2-3 months, ask the library team how the circulation process can be improved. Think about the attitude of the team (friendly and welcoming), the desk itself (is it neat and orderly?), the location (is the circulation area in the best place in the room?) and is every effort made to put the customer first? Share your experiences with rethinking circulation on The Circle on the Church Librarians Network.