Church Library Ministry Classification & Subject Cataloging
CHURCH LIBRARY MINISTRY IMPROVING MINISTRY THROUGH AUTOMATION:
- READ/CONFERENCE: Review pages 83 - 90 in the Church Library Ministry Information Service and use the Help files of your automation software to learn the features of the program AND/OR participate in a conference on church library automation. Read the following article: “Library Automation: Time to Get Started.”
- INTERVIEW: Discuss with at least three (3) other librarians how creating a database, having an automated catalog, and using various features of the software assists the library team in improving ministry. To find librarians to talk with, select them from the membership of the CLN or email Morlee Maynard for recommendations (churchlibrariansnetwork.NING.com).
- DEVELOP an ongoing process to train the library team in the use of the software while creating the database of the library’s holdings. For guidance, use the Help files in the software. As you develop the ongoing training process, include training team members and customers in the use of the Online Public Access Catalog (OPAC). The result will be team members becoming more efficient in their areas of work; they will be able to help individuals use the catalog to locate items, and will have more time to assist in other areas of the church library ministry.
- IMPLEMENT the training and data entry processes.
- EVALUATE the process after 2-3 months by talking with the library team and observing individuals using the OPAC. Make any changes needed to improve the process. When you complete your evaluation and make the necessary changes in the processes, share how automating the collection is helping the library on the CLN's The Circle.