The Covid-19 stay-at-home policy is about to end in many states. Let’s share what we are finding on how to handle reopening libraries whenever that comes our way: preparing the collection? Promotion? Communicating with our congregations? What else do we need to consider?

Views: 1830

Reply to This

Replies to This Question

Many of our regulars checked out a dozen or so books at the end of March and  had finished them. Others had gone by the church office asking to be let into the library

So while the stay at home has not ended here we re-opened the library this week 9-12 one day only and by appointment only.  Every half hour slot was filled and we got phone calls asking if we would leave books in the church office for pick up (they were on golf course and would not be done before noon) and from older members if we would deliver which we did

We plan to continue this until stay at home is lifted

I found this phased approach on a l professional library site.  https://library.wyo.gov/wp-content/uploads/2020/04/Staged-Reopening...

I'm using it to develop my own but with fewer phases.  Could we have a Skye/Zoom conference to discuss when everyone is ready with their drafts?  Blessings to all,  Martha

Let's consider that. Our survey is showing a great interest in the online sessions. One hitch to doing a quick session in the next week or so is the feedback in the survey that not everyone wants us to use Zoom. Another is the reality that not everyone will be able to participate in a virtual session. We can record these sessions and post on the CLN for the others. However, everyone who is interested in this topic can see posts here and we can send awareness through CLN emails.  While I figure out the best way to do a virtual gathering, go ahead and share your ideas here.

I would like a zoom meeting too.   Some of us have small libraries or not open enough for social distancing.   

My co-librarian and I brainstormed on this a bit as our pastors and deacons have begun discussing how to proceed when we are able to meet at church again.  We have several ideas:

1. Set up some carts we use for special events in the hallway, with plenty of space between them, and put a selection of books in each one, say picture books here, children's chapter books there, adult fiction and non-fiction on a table.  That way people can check some things out without coming into the library (which is fairly small).

2. We have recently added TinyCat to our LibraryThing account, which is a very user-friendly search engine, and we will encourage people to find books they'd like to borrow and let us know titles (also anything they see in the newsletter they'd like to read) and we will get the items and put them in a bag for the requester.

We hope that this will allow people to get some new stuff without having a crowd in a small space.

Check out Ken Braddy's recent blog post about 4 phases to reopening. Where do you see implications for church libraries?

Reopening the Church: 4 Phases for an Orderly Return

We have been calling our library "Drive-By" Library.  We encouraged people to view our collection shown on our website & reserve items.  We pull items from shelf and advice them when they are available for pick-up.

Several years ago they promised me they would run a cable so we could have internet in the library I remind them every so often and they keep saying yes we need to do that. I hope that now it will happen

We are in the same boat. My church accidentally disconnected our internet cable 3 years ago about the same time I became the librarian. I keep asking, but it's a low priority. Now we are moving (temporarily) to the 3rd floor which as no internet cabling.

Which leads to my question. Does your church have the ability to do wireless access? Mine is going to try to get us internet access through a wireless router, which most likely will mean some sort of computer upgrade (I'm not great with technology so hope this makes sense). Is your church able to do the same?

These are very rough thoughts, but what I'm thinking about is pre-orders like for take-out.   LIked the idea of the cart, but there's still a lot of touching.   Our library is horse-shoe shaped so that cancels out social distancing.  I like the idea of making an appointment.   We have web opac so people could e-mail the librarian (we have our own e-mail address), and say they wanted books on this or that, and we could pull them or they could accept a grab bag?   I'm wondering about requiring masks in the library, and only allowing one person per family by appointment.   To tell you the truth, I'm a little nervous about it all, and plan to ask people to wipe down the books before returning or if they cannot, we will need to provided we can find wipes or a rag and some Lysol spray.    I'm just thinking out loud, and would appreciate any holes plugged or pointed out.   Still mulling it over.

kids like to pick out their own so maybe a family group and they would be it at that time slot if you did appointments

I don't think I would ask people to wipe down books they might get them too wet! Maybe have them put in box outside the door and wipe them down yourself later as you check them in Might mean over riding the computer if they get more before you check in but that's easy enough

Just did some more on-line searching- some of it even from March 3, 2020 is old news by now.   Wiping down the books is not good for them and does nothing for the pages inside the book.   They recommended quarantining the books for 14 days.    I've been told my library will be closed for the foreseeable future.

RSS

Videos

• Add Videos

Our Sponsors -- Click Through Here

Members

© 2020   Created by Morlee Maynard.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service