Good morning everyone,

I'm attempting to weed our 242 section, primarily devotional books in the calendar format.  How does everyone handle this section?  With all the ones published each year, do you carry them in your library?  How do you weed?

Thanks so much for any advice.

Blessings,

Martha

Views: 125

Reply to This

Replies to This Question

Don't add any in which the date is limited to a certain year. Offer them as freebies or toss them. 

Any that have not checked out within 3-5 years, weed.

Any with personal writings in them, weed.

Offer a 6 month or one year checkout period on 1 year devotional books, and don't worry about getting them back.

I agree to all of the reply of Joanne Ladewig.  I just have a few classic devotionals, primarily so patrons can view them and sometimes to use for a presentation.

I agree with JL in that any books that are written in are not allowed in our library, and we offer a one year check out.  Here is how I keep our shelves slim on devotionals;  The last Sunday of the year and the first Sunday of the year are set aside for "Devotional Exchange."   Bring in your devotionals from the last year and exchange it for a new one for the coming year.  I set up a table in the foyer with all existing devotionals and our congregants can bring in their "used" devotionals and take as many "new" ones as they want.  For as many places in their home, job or car in which they will get used.  This has been a great success.  I generally do not weed out devotionals as we have new members who may be interested in them.

I hope this helps! <>/p>

great idea

I love this idea.  Thank you for the tip.  I am sure many people have devotionals at home that were too good to throw away - but might not be read again.  What a great way to share the Word.

Marilyn Trueblood

I agree with the reply by Joanne Ladewig except we do not weed books by certain authors such as Tozar, Spurgeon, Ten Boom, etc., even if the book hasn’t been checked out in several years. We always weed books that are damaged beyond repair and try to get a replacement if needed.

We have never thought about checking out the one year devotional for a year. That is a great idea. Like the “exchange” idea as well.

We have a few classics in our devotional collection, but rarely add anything new because they are almost never checked out by our patrons.  For me, sticking with the classics makes it easy to cull the remainder.

RSS

Videos

• Add Videos

Our Sponsors -- Click Through Here

Our Affiliates--Support the CLN by Clicking Through Here

Members

© 2019   Created by Morlee Maynard.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service