Most local libraries seem to put the first 3 letters of the title on the visible spine so they are shelved alphabetically by title.  I plan to do this, but also think that I need to establish broad categories and identify those on the spine label and then shelve alphabetically within each category.  My question is:  what categories do you suggest for a church library?  Do you have a better way to shelve and organize DVDs?  Exactly how do you do it?  My thinking is to use maybe MUSIC, BIBLE STUDY, DRAMA/MOVIES, SCIENCE, SERMONS  Not sure what else would be helpful.  Seems like if a patron wants to see what movies we have, they can go to that section and look rather than having to browse them all.  I really just need to know how you organize your DVDs.  Does anyone assign Dewey numbers to them?

Views: 150

Reply to This

Replies to This Question

Jean, yes I do assign DD numbers to everything except movies and music.  This would include bible studies, commentaries, speakers, sermons, someone reading the bible, etc.  I assign numbers by subject just like I do with non-fiction books.  They are shelved by DD number.  For the movies, I use the first three letters of the title.  For music CD's and DVD's, I use the first three letters of the name of the group.  All of these are shelved alphabetically.  Hope this helps a bit.

Thanks!  That sounds like a very workable system!

I think having categories like you suggested would be helpful, especially if you have a large selection of DVDs.  In my past church we put the first 3 letters of the title on the spine of the DVD case and organized it alphabetically.  I did group series together, for example, The Chronicles of Narnia were all labeled CHR/1, CHR/2...  All the Veggie Tales were labeled VEG.  It's much easier to find that than looking for each individual title.  I've never assigned Dewey numbers to the DVDs.  We just put them all together.  But I can see the benefits to having groups like you suggested.  I may do this in my current church.  I'm in the midst of putting everything in alpha order in groups in order to do inventory and then I'll start weeding out and organizing.  Thanks for the idea of grouping DVDs.

As you think through putting DVD's in groups, what groups do you envision??  

We dont shelve ours by the DD number. The first line on the spine label is the DVD number like DVD100, DVD101 etc. Second line is the DD mostly we use F for Fiction, B for Biography, CE or whatever the appropriate DD is. Third line is the first three letters of the title. 

We organize our DVD collection by the following subject areas:

BIBLE, THEOLOGY AND THE CHURCH

CHRISTIAN HUMOR

CHRISTIAN LIFE

CHRISTIAN MOVIES

COUNSELING

CREATION AND SCIENCE

CULTS

FAMILY MOVIES

FINANCES

HOLIDAYS (CHRISTMAS, EASTER, INDEPENDENCE DAY, ETC)

MARRIAGE AND FAMILY

MATURE AUDIENCE MOVIES (meaning not of interest or appropriate for children)

MISSIONS AND EVANGELISM

MUSIC VIDEOS AND CONCERTS

SOCIAL ISSUES

EDUCATIONAL (HISTORY, GOVERNMENT, ETC.) 

SPORTS AND FITNESS

TEENS

TRAVEL

The movies are shelved alphabetically by title except series are all together under the series title.

Thanks for your response!  I'm not clear on how you do this, tho.  How do you identify the subject area on the DVD spine?  Are they alphabetically by title within the broad subject area or is the entire collection Alphabetically by title.

We had stickers made for each subject area and put them on the spine. The DVD's are cataloged for our OPAC by title, subject, author, series, etc. and given a number. The 

DVD's are on the shelf numerically and you get the number after you make your search in the computer. Movies, however, are arranged alphabetically on the shelf. See the attached picture. There are a lot of ways it could be done but this was our choice. 

DVD%202.jpg

DVD%27s.jpg

I probably should know this...  but what is OPAC?

OPAC stands for On-Line Public Access Catalog.  Basically your card catalog on computer. Sorry, I should have written it out.

All of our DVDs are shelved according to type: creation/science; adult non-fiction; adult movies; family movies; children. Within the children's movies, like series are grouped together (Veggie Tales, Cherub Wings, etc), by episode or alphabetically within the group.

No DD used, just the data base #. Keeps the spine simple.

Just putting out DVDs #569-576 this weekend.

Is that the complete list of the categories/types you use?  It sounds like you assign them a number numerically as received.  Is that correct?  Or...  what do you mean by database number?  I'm still not clear on how you identify the types on the DVD and how you shelve within that type.  Thanks for your reply.  I'm getting closer to making a decision on this.  Seems like every library does it slightly different.

RSS

Videos

• Add Videos

Our Sponsors -- Click Through Here

Our Affiliates--Support the CLN by Clicking Through Here

Members

© 2019   Created by Morlee Maynard.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service