I classified Friends of Christ by Karen Kingsbury following the CIP as 232.9, which seemed OK to me. I got called on this, and shown the introduction where it is clearly shown that this is fiction. Checking Classify.occl.org, I find 948 libraries also choose 232.9, with no other number chosen. Has anybody chosen fiction? Putting it in NF seems to go against what I have been told to do,

unless I use the rule that a book with two subjects should use the predominate subject.  Maybe my choice should be what the Library Director likes. Any comments?

Views: 85

Reply to This

Replies to This Question

I checked in to this a little bit and found it very confusing without actually having the book to examine.  The Library of Congress assigned DD number 232.9/5.  I also checked on Amazon and saw where an editorial review referred to the book as a novel.    By any chance is a DDN given on the back of the title page?  If not, I would go with the LOC.

The back of the title page shows the same as the LOC.

Since posting the original I think the same problems might apply to young children's books. I suspect that a lot of embellishment to Bible stories occurs.

Sometimes, where will the book have the highest circulation, goes through my mind....

Buford, here is something else I found.

Published by LifeWay Press® ©2015 by Karen Kingsbury The Friends of Jesus ©2015 by Karen Kingsbury. Published by Howard Books; A Division of Simon & Schuster, Inc.; Brentwood, Tennessee 37027. Used by Permission No part of this book may be . . .  expressly permitted in writing by the publisher. Requests for permission should be addressed in writing to LifeWay Press®; One LifeWay Plaza; Nashville, TN 37234-0152. ISBN 978-1-4300-4022-4 • Item 005727069 Dewey decimal classification: 232.95 Subject headings JESUS CHRIST / FRIENDSHIP / MINISTRY

I have Kingsbury's books in fiction.  They are novels after all. 

RSS

Church Library Ministry Events

Videos

• Add Videos

Our Sponsors -- Click Through Here

Our Affiliates--Support the CLN by Clicking Through Here

Members

© 2018   Created by Morlee Maynard.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service