248 vs 305 or 306 - where do you put the family/individual person/books

We've made great progress on revamping our library, but I'm confused. I purchased the book A Classification System for Church Libraries and it's adding to my question. I'm making new spine labels for all our resources as in their current categories books/topics can be extremely difficult to locate.

In the past, I had placed books on individuals (men, women, marriage, etc.) in the 248 section (248.8+ whatever other necessary decimals to keep them grouped properly). But I see that when I search certain books online they are listed with a dewey number of 305.+ and 306.+

If married people are 248.844 when would I use 306.8 which says it is for marriage and family? 

We only have Christian books in the library, so should I not use the 305 and 306 numbers so that everything stays together? (I still have 649 as parenting as suggested). 

Thanks for your help!

Views: 38

Reply to This

Replies to This Question

Rachel, let's look at the 248 number.  It represents the Christian life and how one is to live.  That includes men, women, married couples, etc.  The 306.8 refers to the marriage between two people.   If the book is about how to live the Christian life for the various groups, then use the 248 number.  If it refers to the marriage of a couple it should be in the 306.8 classification.   

Many times I think if books are of a religious nature that the Library of Congress tends to place them in the 200

categories.  Our books in church libraries are Christian books and should be placed in the proper categories which means 306,8 for marriage and 649 for parenting instead of being placed in the 200s.   This is the way it is taught for church libraries.

I expanded 306.8 from the big Dewey.

RSS

Videos

• Add Videos

Our Sponsors -- Click Through Here

Our Affiliates--Support the CLN by Clicking Through Here

Members

© 2018   Created by Morlee Maynard.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service